Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Above drawing: Original color pencil (1995) of Giant City State Park (So. Illinois) by: Mark W. Tribley (salty the dog wasn't born yet)
Updated Sept2_2017  note: a friend commented on how this image appears here.  The actual canvas has a much different appeal, with more detail adding to what "makes sense" in an impressionistic painting.  I have been trying to eliminate the intense orange.  M.T.
Sept17_2017 A closeup of the brushstrokes.  Viewing the canvas as it is here on the easel.  Working on brushstrokes of color, my intention to create an impressionistic work, and not a photo related, though I compare by looking at the lake all year round.  To me it is serenity, a work for my home giving me that feeling.M.T.





1970's  Argentine Gauchos and Snow Scene  Original artwork by Mark W. Tribley







UpdatedApril23_16






UpdatedApril9_16



UpdatedApril6_16
Another artist and myself have discussed my progress on this painting and it has many problems.  If you view it from several feet back, it blends together as Impressionistic painting is known to achieve.  Still, it is only an experiment.  If it were not for adding gray, it would be even more harsh.  I need to paint outdoors, and not from a photograph to learn to find my style of painting that I am looking for.  With the spring weather coming soon, it will be time to get outdoors and stop using a photo for the natural look of landscape.  A difference between the current photo and those taken outdoors on the easel in sunlight makes the canvas look more dull.  More editing needed to be done just to make the photo as best as I could make it look to the actual canvas.  Trust me that the canvas does look better, and I do enjoy having something to look at with each successive change at the end of the day, if for no other reason.  It makes it apparent to me that I need to start an new painting subject, then I can come back to this one for additional changes.


March5_2016
      Applying glazes using medium.  This morning, Mar. 6, I thought I would experiment digitally in my editing software on the color of the sky, as I want to change it when I paint next on the actual canvas.  This took a matter of minutes to spray and change the sky.  Due to the difference between the actual painting and how it translates when photographed, upon further thinking, the painting will remain with the present sky that is not shown here.  On another note, I have been watching many paintings by - You Tube artists, being just amazed, with the ability they have applying paint - with all the mixing of just a few basic colors, and how they use their brushes to apply paint, and the use of the pallet knife (Oil Painting).  My time on the Internet now is spent learning about painting.  It is the most relaxing and enjoyable study imaginable.  I can only paint for myself with to hope to someday, with practice, have the ability of these great artists.  Frustration over painting is not like anything that causes misery.  It is making little steps forward, and figuring out ways to accomplish a very difficult form of creativity.  March8_16  The digital image for the previous day has been removed. Working on the canvas sky after all with some energetic brush strokes of purple, green, and gesso white, cerulean blue and mixing medium.  It is creating a gray tone to the sky with a very visible purple and green.  The pure Cerulean Blue was overpowering the tree browns, yellows and greens, before.  Working in acrylic most be done quickly.  Updated 3_13_16  With some difficulty making the photo appear close to the actual canvas I did some editing here.  It is not what my canvas really shows in my studio, and it is a work in progress.  Lots of work to do.
3_17_16  A quick explanation about photo shown here.  The colors are more brilliant and there is now dimensionality as with perhaps Edward Hopper for example, as I am striving for.  I am working with values of gray and will work more with color of the reeds later. (There is much golden,purple, and green/blue, in the top of the reeds the photo is not showing)     The development of brushwork is something that with practice is being done with the very small brush working very fast, blending grays, over previous color.  Finally, a photo taken outdoors in sunlight, showing good detail and color.  My sketchwork examples may be preferable to how the painting is becoming - more complex and needing more work, to be a Hudson River painting, or simplified, such as Edward Hopper.  This is an experiment, and why I began this as a new canvas keeping the sketch canvas, without going further, as I can get lost, and am getting eye strain.  Hundreds of hours of practice make me learn a great deal about painting, and my next attempt will be with oil painting.  Painting outdoors is always preferable to having to paint from a photo.  However, sometimes my original photo's serve me well, and without them, I would not have what I need for inspiration.
UpdateMarch29_16








Working on it.







Dec. 8, 2015    Perhaps some explanation is in order if you may have been following my posts, or not.  The purpose of these posts are a learning experience for me.  Having to do with color harmony, and brush technique, while using a photo which has been my source.  I wrote how the need not to copy the photo directly is important, and basically the goal is learning to paint in acrylic paint on canvas.  I am so appreciative of the great artists that I view and read about, and would like to paint even though an amateur.   I realize this is boring to most, and please encourage anyone to paint, as it can be enjoyable.


This canvas is 24 by 36 inch.  Different grades of canvas are available, this being the best surface.  There is little difference between this and the next step down from what I can see until using a new one, which is the lesser priced.  Then there is a "watercolor canvas", being lighter and different texture, also less expensive.


November 28, 2015 a new arrangement and composition.  I have saved the first canvas as my sketch to work from.  This canvas can be worked to a finished art work without having to worry about over working it and getting lost over the importance of staying thoughtful of basic composition.  I see how useful yellow is as a harmonizing color, balancing the the cool colors and browns.  

Links to two great artists:  http://peninkwatercolor.blogspot.com/
http://www.tabithamcbainstudio.co.uk/



As the acrylic painting on 24 by 36 inch canvas stands presently, please refer to previous post (Dec. 10, 2014)

Salty overlooking job on insulating porch floor facing south door.


Layers of Styrofoam cut to fit tightly and then glued with Liquid Nails and silicone caulk.  Next to the sliding glass doors (facing East) I used expanding foam to insulate down into areas under the door and north wall. As I go along the floor boards are able to be screwed down into place.  Walking through the porch area to the north portion of my home is around this every day.
Here is the final top layer of Styrofoam cut to fit and caulked with clear silicone around edges.  The project has taken 2 months now.  R values, R standing for "Resistance" range from R-50 to R-18.  The largest R value being next to the concrete block east wall down to the ground where the hill goes down and the gap becomes greater.  Living on a slope has it's advantages as when it rains all the water is drained quickly as I live at the top of a small hill.


Today, May 17, 2015 after some painting yesterday perhaps it is noticeable that there are no hard edges or lines compared to my first canvas.  Staying in a tints and shades of colors also as compared 
to full reds, greens, and yellows.

 (click on photo, scroll with middle wheel, for enlarge)
Updated June 29, 2015

No comments: